Facebook Connect

«Back

Leaving Ireland with Two Very Nice Horses

September 29, 2011 · By Terry Finley · Share

DUBLIN, IRELAND - We finished up with two purchases Tuesday at the sale. In addition to the filly, bought a nice colt by Shirocco at the end of day one for 35,000 Euros. Solid and athletic, this dude is out of a Fusaichi Pegasus Mare.

Click here to see his pedigree. Shirocco won the Breeder's Cup Turf in 2004 and was named champion 3-year-old colt in both Italy and Germany that same year.

 


Thursday morning our yearlings will begin a long journey to the U.S. and Camden, South Carolina. They'll move by van to the coast where they'll load on the ferry to cross the English Channel. From there, it will be a five hour van ride to Newmarket, England. Around October 10, they'll fly to Lexington, Kentucky with a large group of yearlings returning to the states. After a day of rest, it's onto Kip Elser's training center in Camden, South Carolina.

One interesting and productive thing they do at Irish Sales is wind testing. For a small fee, buyers can have  a licensed veterinarian listen and observe the horses during and after a period of strenuous work (usually cantering for four to five minutes in an enclosed round pen).  

The wind test identifies horses that may be predisposed to breathing problems later in their careers. About 97% of the horses pass with flying colors but it certainly helps buyers when the other 3% are identified.

We took a video of the Shirocco colt being windtested this morning. Take a look.
 

 
Terry
 
Click here to read the rest of Terry's Ireland blog. 

Comments · Add a CommentAdd a comment · Send Feedback

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.

«Back