Facebook Connect

«Back

Greetings. We are almost to the middle of July. Del Mar and Saratoga are right around the corner.We should be active on both coasts during these premier meets - check out our "upcoming races" to take a look.

Was thinking about old-timers in our business the other day. Allen Jerkens, a celebrated New York trainer celebrated his 60th anniversary of training horses a few weeks ago. What an amazing guy. One funny story - when I first got in the partnership business - one morning at Saratoga I was asking someone about training horses and the different methods employed by people. The guy said to me - there a bunch of ways to train horses and everyone has different opinions but, if Allen Jerkens came out one day and galloped all of his horses on the pavement, the next morning most of the trainers on the backstretch would gallop everyone of their horses on the pavment". That says much about the respect Mr. Jerkens has on the backside. Read a nice article by Bill Finley on him (many people ask me if he's my brother - he's not - I'm better looking but he's a better writer)

Another old-timer in our midst is Awesome Gem, our seven year-old warhorse who has been so well managed on the West Coast by Jeff Bloom and Craig Dollase. Our friend from the Bloodhorse, Steve Haskin, has a nice story about our boy on his blog. I really enjoy reading the comments from racing fans across the country

Enjoy your week.

Terry

Read/Write
Anonymous
Jul 9 2010 - 11:00pm
view
255
/news-and-blog/blog/2010/07/09/age-just-means-experience
11 pm on July 09, 2010

Anonymous's picture

25 questions with Terry Finely, founder of West Point Thoroughbreds.

Read/Write
Anonymous
Jun 14 2010 - 8:27am
view
254
/news-and-blog/blog/2010/06/14/25-questions-with-terry
8 am on June 14, 2010

25 questions with Terry Finely, founder of West Point Thoroughbreds.

Anonymous's picture

As I get a bit older it seems like Memorial Day strikes me more and more.This Monday's holiday I'll pause even longer to gives thanks and praise to all those who have given the ultimate sacrifice or who are wearing our countries uniform today to all us all to continue our way of life in the greatest country in the world.

Let me explain.

Last Tuesday, I woke up early and saw a missed call on my cellphone - a call from Jimmy Diorio, my best friend from our West Point cadet days. Listening to his message, I knew right away from the tone of his voice something was terribly wrong. One of our running buddies, Colonel John McHugh, has been killed the day before by a car bomber in Kabul.John McHugh

Johnny Mac had grown up with Jimmy Diorio in northern New Jersey. Several times while at West Point, Jimmy, John and I took our buddies to the Meadowlands for night racing. John and I kept in touch over the years because of his interest in horseracing and also soccer. John was Captain of the Army Soccer Team in 1985. I've always said being Captain of a major collegiate sport at West Point is a tough thing to do - almost everybody thinks they are boss at West Point!

Seemed like everytime I communicated with John over the years, he and his wife, were having another child. In fact, John and Connie have five children and a young granddaughter. Their youngest son, David, is five years old. His oldest, Michael, is a warrant office in the Army and stationed in Iraq. Michael escorted his father's casket home from Afghanistan last week.

Johnnie Mac was the highest ranking officer killed in either the Iraq or Afghanistan wars. He really was a wonderful human being. I never heard a single negative or cross word spoke about him - not one. How many people - in this day and age - can a statement like that be honestly made?

Well done, buddy.

I've included a few links to read about the incredible life of John McHugh.

This Monday, take a moment to pause and give thanks for the service of Johnnie Mac and all his brothers and sisters in arms.

Terry

Disabled
Anonymous
May 26 2010 - 11:00pm
view
253
/news-and-blog/blog/2010/05/26/remembering-john-mchugh
11 pm on May 26, 2010

As I get a bit older it seems like Memorial Day strikes me more and more.

Anonymous's picture

Greetings. What a great weekend at the 2010 Kentucky Derby!.

My daughter, Erin, has attended the last four Derbys as a student at the University of Kentucky. This was her final Derby as a UK student as she will graduate on Saturday with a degree in Animal Science. After a June trip to Royal Ascot in England, she'll begin work for West Point Thoroughbreds as the head of communications. Man, those four years went plenty fast.

The Sheryl's Melody partnership enjoyed a rare thrill with a win on Derby Day at Churchill. Undoubtedly this was one of our most lively and excited maiden race winner's circles!

Derby weekend gave me hope on a number of fronts. The mood of the crowd was much better this year. You couldn't buy a seat, even at inflated prices, anywhere in town. The restaurants were full and the buzz was at full steam. Who knows, maybe this economy IS starting to come back a bit.

This is a competitive business - we run our horses against other stables on a regular basis. But I have to share that I think a good group of people won the 2010 Derby. WinStar Farm, the owners of Super Saver, have invested tens of millions in racing, and they've assembled a great team. WinStar has supported numerous charitable endeavors throughout the industry and are genuinely good people. Todd Pletcher is a good guy who doesn't act like he's the man - even though he's accomplished so much in a relatively short period of time as a trainer. Calvin Borel is a cool cat. He was listed as the "coolest athlete in America" in Monday's edition of the Wall Street Journal.

I know the racing industry has struggled over the last few years, but so have many other industries. After such an uplifting weekend for racing at Churchill Downs I've got one thing to say - We Ain't Dead Yet.

Enjoy the week.

Disabled
Anonymous
May 6 2010 - 11:00pm
view
252
/news-and-blog/blog/2010/05/06/post-derby-thoughts
11 pm on May 06, 2010

Greetings. What a great weekend at the 2010 Kentucky Derby!.

Anonymous's picture

Terry Finley, founder of West Point Thoroughbreds, on Monmouth Park and the racing industry.

Read/Write
Anonymous
Sep 8 2010 - 12:24pm
view
251
/news-and-blog/blog/2010/03/31/monmouth-and-changes-in-the-industry
11 pm on March 31, 2010

Anonymous's picture

Moment of the Year

I know I've viewed the replay Iof the 2009 Woodward a few times over the last few months.  Well, fans who visited NYRA's website just voted the finish "The NYRA Moment of the Year".  We were proud to be part of it.

Click here to experience the thrill.

Who knows, maybe we can get another shot at the 2009 Horse of the Year at the 2010 Breeder's Cup at Churchill Downs.

Newsletter

We've received very good feedback on our first electronic newsletter.  Take a look and let us know what you think.

Santa Anita Track Surface

Santa AnitaLooks like they are going to switch back to a dirt surface at Santa Anita.  This is really a multifaceted issue.  I know for sure the artificial surfaces are just as safe, if not safer, than dirt tracks.  It's funny, over the past three years, this issue has conveniently made a bunch of owners and trainers soil and track surface experts.  Well, here's the scoop - there is really little difference in surfaces.  Some horses like the dirt surface at Aqueduct and don't like the dirt surface at Belmont!!! It's just that simple.

There is only one winner in each race and the rest of the horses just did not get the job done.  Artificial tracks just give losers one more lame excuse to use after they get beat.

Don't take the bait - all the horses in race line up in the starting gate and run over the same track.  Funny, did anyone read of any negative track surface comments from any of the connections of Breeders' Cup winners over the last two years?  Hmmm.

Read/Write

view
248
/news-and-blog/blog/2009/12/01/its-all-in-the-video
12 am on December 01, 2009

Terry's Notes: 12-1-09

Anonymous's picture

A huge week coming up. Thanksgiving in a few days. Erin, my daughter, coming home from Kentucky for a few days. Ryan, my son, stays in North Carolina to prepare for a Sunday soccer game against Wake Forest in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Soccer Tourney.

Macho come backs in the Clark at Churchill on Friday. On the same day we run Dixie in the Top Flight at Aqueduct and El Gato Malo in the Citation at Hollywood.

Our goal is to break our win record of 64 (we have 57 right now) and hit the four million dollar in earnings mark. We need just over $350k more to meet the goal. I saw we hit both objectives.

Had two good wins in California this past week. Ginello and Camp Victory powered home to the wire at Hollywood. Both horses are fresh and improving and could be heard from in a big way in the coming months.

Lots of good things happening in the racing world. This upcoming weekend is always a nice time to watch great racing and spend time with family and love ones.

We have much to be thankful for.

Until next week.
Terry

Read/Write
Anonymous
Nov 23 2009 - 12:00am
view
247
/news-and-blog/blog/2009/11/23/giving-thanks-and-watching-good-races
12 am on November 23, 2009

Anonymous's picture

Another week closer to the end of the year.  The debate rages on in the horse industry about who should be horse of the year – Rachel or Zenyatta?  I know it will be close and one set of connections will be upset after the winner is announced in Beverly Hills late in January.  Who do I think should win?  Well, at first I was intrigued by the thought of making them both co-HOY.  But after some thought, I realized that’s not the way we play this game.  We have a finish line in racing and the first one there wins.  The filly with the most votes for HOY should win.

My vote – Rachel - by a very small margin.  Both ladies had great years.  Taking the ownership connections out of the process, Rachel’s body of work over the entire calendar year was more substantive.  Just my opinion.  Oh, by the way, I don’t have a vote but do have some thoughts on why owners (who put up all the money and take all the risk) don’t have a voice in the awards voting…more on that later.

Just got back form a quick trip to Ocala with the team to check up on or yearlings in training and also several of our older horses coming off layoffs.  Watching these young horses laying the foundation for their racing careers under a beautiful Florida sun is heaven.  Ask anybody in Ocala who breaks and trains young horses – “how is your group this year?” and I guarantee nine out of ten will render the same basic answer “this most likely is the best group we’ve ever assembled”.  So, how did the West Point yearling look? – see the previous sentence.

Bobby Frankel died early this week.  I never got to know him very well.  We exchanged hellos all the time at the races.  He certainly was known as a complex guy and one who loved his horses like few others.  I read his hall of fame credentials in a DRF story last night.  What a career.  Jay Hovdey really captured the essence of Bobby Frankel’s life in his Racing Form article.   Take a look - http://drf.com/news/article/108986.html

Read/Write