This “Summer Meets Central” page will help you plan your trip to Saratoga and have a great stay once you’re in town. It’s the most wonderful time of the year!
On Thursday, June 20 at 4:00 pm ET/1:00 pm PT we’re holding a summer meets conference call for Partners. We’ll chat about what to do on race days at Del Mar and Saratoga, how to arrange barn visits, who to call for tickets, where to eat, etc. Our goal is to make your trip as smooth and fun as possible! Del Mar first (~20 minutes) then Saratoga.
Conference Call Details:
Date: Thursday, June 20
Time: 4:00 pm ET/1:00 pm PT
Phone number: 1-218-339-7800
Access code: 8230224#
July 11-September 2 (Dark Mondays and Tuesdays except Labor Day)
- Training hours are 6-9:30 am daily Wednesday-Sunday
- BACKSTRETCH ACCESS
Action requested: You will need your NYRA Badge & parking sticker to park on the backstretch on race days.
You haven’t already done so, Please take a photo of your car registration and your NYRA Badge (not license) and email to Tom Bellhouse by June 24th
- If you have a current NYRA badge, you can access the backstretch on your own. If not, then you need to get on a pass list for each day you plan to be on the backstretch. Alert at least two days in advance so we can get you on the list at the Nelson Avenue/Gridley Gate. This is located right across the street from the legendary Horseshoe Grill.
- WPT team and Partners hang out at the Morning Line, the backstretch coffee stand at the six-furlong pole.
- If you have horses with trainers stabled at the Oklahoma training track, we will take you over in one of our golf carts. The WPT trainers with horses stabled on the main track are Dale Romans, Danny Gargan, and Graham Motion.
- There are no barn visits on Mondays or Tuesdays.
- Partners are not permitted to visit the barns unless accompanied by WPT staff. There are no barn visits in the afternoons.
- Carrots and treats are provided by the trainers’ staff. Please refrain from bringing your own treats.
- Please wear closed toed shoes in the barn area.
Famous coffee stand:
Nobody does as much as WPT to help accommodate Partners at the Spa. Saratoga is not like Belmont or Churchill, it is much smaller in capacity, and a lot of people attend the races every day. Big days, as you can imagine, are toughest to get accommodations.
Visit NYRA website to make reservations.
Always make track dining reservations under your name, not West Point Thoroughbreds.
A New York owner’s license and/or parking sticker will no longer allow you to park on the grounds. NYRA is now issuing parking hangars that will be displayed from rearview mirrors. Please contact Tom Bellhouse and let him know when you’ll be in town so we can help you with parking.
Uber is now in Saratoga — it’s a great option to get to the track!
- As the horses leave the paddock for the race prior to yours, meet by the paddock entrance closest to the clubhouse (near the cigar stand) and be sure to wear your WPT pin. A WPT team member will meet you there, and Partners will enter together.
- Congregate in the grass area by your horse’s number. Please do not go into the saddling stalls.
- You can watch the race anywhere you wish. However, the West Point team and Partners traditionally watch races on the clubhouse lower level in front of the “big screen” right around the corner from the Jim Dandy Bar.
- Win or lose, the team will brief you at the big screen. Please do not try to follow the trainer or jockey post-race.
Do not go to NY licensing office without first making an appointment with WPT staff as we have supporting documents you will need to get your license. Attempting to do so without us could result in the scratch of your horse.
Saratoga upholds traditional upscale style. No shorts are permitted in the paddock and winner’s circle. Clubhouse box seats require a jacket (no tie required) for men. Slacks, skirts, or dresses for ladies. More details on the dress code.
Summer is upon us and we’ve revamped our online merchandise store! Find apparel by Nike, Cutter & Buck, Peter Mallar, Eddie Bauer, and more. Check out the store.
Albany International Airport- 30 minutes
Rutland, Vermont – 74 miles
Stewart International- 127 miles (Newburgh, NY)
Bradley Airport- 139 miles (outside of Hartford, CT)
Book early. Downtown hotels can be tough to find during the meet.
Consider surrounding towns like Malta, Clifton Park, Glens Falls, and Albany Airport hotels as they are within 30 minutes of the track.
The Brunswick at Saratoga Bed and Breakfast offers a 15% discount to WPT Partners and does not require a multi-night stay. Contact them directly. When booking, mention you are a WPT Partner to receive the discount. It’s a quaint spot located directly across the street from Saratoga Race Course on Union Avenue.
OpenTable is a great site to help you make dinner reservations during the meet.
Some WPT suggestions:
Triangle Diner – located a few minutes out of town
Sweet Mimi’s – charming cafe and bakery not too far off Broadway (next to Hattie’s)
Max London’s – great Saturday and Sunday brunch on Broadway
Cantina – Mexican restaurant on Broadway
The Local – pub and teahouse a few blocks off Broadway
Ravenous – creperie located downtown on Phila Street
West Side Stadium Grill– just up the hill from Congress Park
Spring Street Deli – Wide variety of sandwiches just blocks from the track, popular horsemen joint!
Pennell’s – Italian restaurant within walking distance of the track. Chances are you will see Tom Bellhouse here.
Mama Mia’s – casual Italian restaurant that’s one of Terry’s favorites
Boca Bistro – one of Lindsey Heumann’s favorites. Spanish tapas restaurant on Broadway
Wheatfield’s – bistro on Broadway with local fare and handmade pasta
Prime at Saratoga National – Fine dining located at the golf club a few miles from the track
Nove – excellent classic Italian and good vino, one of Dawn’s favorites
Taverna Novo – Great spot in the Beekman Street Art District
Hamlet & Ghost – Great menu and cocktails. Home of the Gin Gin Fizz!
Some other things we recommend during your stay:
- Shopping/restaurants on Broadway
- White water rafting
- Visiting Lake George
- Concerts at SPAC
- Boating on Saratoga Lake
- Spending night at the beautiful Sagamore Resort
- Taking a scenic drive to Manchester, Vermont,
- Playing a round of golf at Saratoga National
- Taking a day trip to Cooperstown to visit the Baseball Hall of Fame
Monday & Tuesday August 5-6 :“The Saratoga Sale”
Select yearling sale at Fasig-Tipton Sales pavilion
This is the country’s premier boutique sale and a huge social event. Cocktail attire is suggested.
August 11-12: NY-Bred Yearlings
At Fasig-Tipton Sales pavilion
Sales pavilion located at 250 East Avenue – a hop, skip, and a jump from the track
Meet the WPT buying team for a sales tour on Sunday, August 4. This is always a well-attended, educational, and fun event. Get up close and personal with the yearlings who will go through the ring at this world famous sale.