Thank you to those who participated in the Nyquist filly racehorse naming contest — we received several hundred submissions!
The winning name is Sequist!
Here are the finalists:
Secret Theorem (Nyquist–Shannon sampling theorem is a theorem in the field of digital signal processing out of the mare Secret Garden). More info.
Desjardins (Jardin means garden in French and the filly is out of the mare Secret Garden. Nyquist is the last name of an NHL hockey player. Andrew Desjardins is a famous NHL hockey player). More info.
Felt Dawn (Filly’s broodmare sire is Flanders Fields. “In Flanders Fields” is a famous World War I poem and “Felt Dawn” is a famous line in the poem. More info.
Theoretical (Nyquist–Shannon sampling theorem is a theorem in the field of digital signal processing). More info.
Half Told Secret (The Nyquist Theorem states that the highest frequency which can be represented accurately is one-half of the sampling rate. Filly out of the mare Secret Garden). More info.
Hidden Frequency (The Nyquist Theorem states that the highest frequency which can be represented accurately is one half of the sampling rate. Filly out of the mare Secret Garden and hidden is another word for secret). More info.
Sequist (Combination of first letters of sire and dam name).
- Online contest is open now and closes at noon ET on Wednesday, November 25.
- Finalist names will be selected by the West Point Thoroughbreds team by December 1 and a public online vote will then be held to determine the winner.
- The person who submits the winning name receives a $150 gift card to the West Point Thoroughbreds online store.
- Maximum of three name submissions per person.
- One vote per person when voting for winning name.
- Name must be in accordance with Jockey Club regulations.
- All submissions must include a valid email address.
- There is no cost to enter the contest.
- In the event that more than one person submits the same name, and that name is the contest winner, the gift card will be distributed to one submitter via a random draw.